Thursday, May 5, 2016

Voice

This week, I was supposed to watch three films directed by a specific director, I chose Tomas Tykwer. What attracted me to Tomas Tykwer was his film Run Lola Run. I've seen this film ten years ago, back then I didn't care much for it, but, it felt like an experimental film, so I figured I'd give it another go. I watched Cloud Atlas, Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, and Run Lola Run. Out of these films, I'd have to say Perfume: The Story of a Murderer was the most appealing to me in regards to storytelling. Cloud Atlas, while I didn't care for it, the film was very appealing and could easily been seen as a piece of art. What I noticed with Run Lola Run was how it was reminiscent of french New Wave techniques. Run Lola Run seemed like a love letter of sorts to the films that built that film era. Without going in depth with each film, they're very artsy in their own way. Run Lola Run with the editing, Perfume with the shots, and Cloud Atlas with the aesthetic of how the cinematography was done. One thing I thought up the moment I saw the directors work, was that now that I think of it, the films are very similar. I have seen these films before. Now that I re-watched them knowing they were made by the same guy, the only thing that shows between each film is the voice of the director being identical.

No comments:

Post a Comment